Aug 1, 2010

Shades of Black, Blue and White

I wanted to try some new techniques with my backgrounds and some new colors to get a blended water color look. Thats when this hit me, its a story that came together as I was painting. My moon and the white ghost pumpkins have a stardust glittery effect to them.

I listed this one tonight on ebay click HERE to view my auction

The Swamp Witch


The wise old woman of the swamp; she has experience of the ancient, the oldest of old, beyond memory, in the roots of the beginning of time. This is the Gran Ibo, most commonly known as the Swamp Witch, so called because the swamp is the place she calls home. A place of only the darkest shades of midnight. A place where only shadows and unseen things lurked behind dark crevices.


Beneath an autumn moon she worked. She was old, old enough that she couldn't remember how long she'd been there or how old she was. Air, earth, fire and water were the same to her, but she preferred the cover and coolness of the swamp water. Her hair was coarse and covered in snow white moss. She was hungry and it was time for her midnight snack. Neither frogs, nor toads or nightly creatures would suffice this evening. Her fingers gnarled and as she twisted them, she cast out a spell over the ghost pumpkins. Pumpkin soup for the soul!






8 comments:

Dede said...

I love the Swamp Witch! Love what you have done with the trees. Just awesome!

(((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Heather This is awesome gal you have out done yourself with this painting.

Can't wait to see more of them!!
Hugs
Chris

Laura said...

i love this...the colors are gorgeous!
blessings
~*~

Guillaume said...

Swamps are lovely sinister places, perfect for a witch! Lovely picture (I have the feeling I will repeat this often here). I hope we can learn more about that Swamp Witch.

Unknown said...

Oh I love your story that goes with it!!

New technique seems to be working for you! :)

Sky said...

Love the new look of your blog..

Betty BeadBug said...

I love it! :-)

Treasured Wishes said...

I love this painting Heather very cool! :)