Jun 6, 2009

Will your art become Censored?

When will you be censored? Sometimes its only a matter of time. I received word today from my best friend Sherry about an article and a lets say "ruckus" that is occurring in Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

Its all about censorship and we as artists are all affected by it, as well as its outcome.

The little northwest Arkansas town has a 150-foot-long old retaining wall turned into an art exhibit with artwork from local artisans up for public viewing. Created in 2004 by Charlotte Buchanan with her project called The Artery. It has been up since September and the theme for this exhibit is "Icons" (popular icons in religion and culture). Among some of the paintings, that are offending tourists, I bring you to artist Beth Post whose work is amazing and creating quite a stir with her piece entitled "The Temptation of Alice". I have found nothing in this painting, or any of the other 27 that up on display offensive. I want to hear what all you think about it.

Read the full news article here: Art May Be Too Provocative for the town

I have to wonder about my paintings. Will my witches become offensive because some of them carry pentacles, or have familiars, or worship in the woods under silhouettes of trees? As far as the council in Eureka Springs is concerned I find your idea of censorship very offensive. Shame on you for even considering it.

The Temptation of Alice


About Beth Post: She is the one of the most down to earth people I have spoken to in the art community.
Beth is pursuing her MFA in Illustration at the Savannah College of Art and Design. She grew up Russellville, Arkansas. She works in acrylic, oil, watercolor, and digital mediums. In conjunction with illustration, Beth enjoys writing children's books and short stories. Her illustrations have been featured in WNC Magazine, Baystate, and What's Up Annapolis.

You can visit her site here:www.bethpost.com

7 comments:

Sarah Sullivan said...

Wow that is just disturbing - the attitude. Although having lived in places with little tolerance for anything outside what they consider the norm - it is harder to be shall we say Bohemian. I see lots of belief systems and kinds of art displayed here in N. Idaho. It seldom gets much attitude. I feel blessed to live here. I guess art is for the viewer in these terms - If someone chooses to censor my artwork because of content - I have an online market to use. It always makes me sad when others choose to dictate these kinds of personal freedoms!!
Great Post hon, Sarah

Constance said...

This is very saddening. I come across it often here in the Bible Belt. Many of the churches would prefer that Halloween be banished altogether. It is wonderful to be able to see and experience the art and talent of others through the internet. I will always make my pumpkins and my witch dolls and I usually start decorating sometimes as early as Sept. first. Autumn is my favorite time of the year, and I will always display my work and the work of others no matter where I am. How sad it would be to be a child that never had the chance to experience beautiful art. Thank you for the post; it reminds me of how blessed I am that I am creative because I never closed my mind.

Foolish Notions Vintage said...

Constance, your reply to my post was very heartfelt and I am touched by what you said. I too am busily decorating when August hits all the way through Nov. 1st.

I have a strong passion for art and creating in general. Expression through creative means is vital for us to walk through what must be a very mundane life without it.
If my children were not exposed to art, what they would be missing out on! It is part of who we are and they are our future. I shudder to think, but you know the expression "minds are like parachutes, they only function when open".

I have never quite experienced a more wonderful, joyous world than the one that has been painted for me by this huge circle of artists I call friends. Thank you!
hugs,
Heather

Unknown said...

My best friend Heather, I have to correct you on one little thing. Eureka Springs is where I wish I lived. LOL I live in Mammoth Spring and believe me in my town the picture would not even be on display. We'll see how they feel about Witchy art this October when Ron and I have our first show on Main Street. Aren't we brave? LOL
The Bible Belt would vote to censor lots of things! You are right, it is our constitutional right. I don't see how they are going to get away with censoring this art display. Hopefully it will gain a lot of attention. I saw the story on AOL's news. It is the kind of story that could bring attention to our First Amendment Rights! You rock Heather!
Hugs
Sherry

Foolish Notions Vintage said...

I don't know why I keep wanting to put you in Eureka lol, but your right this is about our freedom and it aggravates me.

I viewed all 27 entries of art, (anyone reading this can go to artery and see them) I did not see one that was offensive, well unless you consider breastfeeding a child offensive? Well they don't like breastfeeding either. They make new mothers feel as if they are doing something dirty anyway.

Hmmm... I didn't realize that John Lennon's message of peace was offensive, ok well maybe the fictitious "lucifer" is offensive with his stag like horns and inverted pentagram. Offensive to "some".

Oh, if by offensive they mean a depiction of something that "may" be viewed as an alternative to organized religion, well then I guess there is plenty of that!

I will tell you what rocks Sherry, Beth is going to stand up for her freedom of expression, and a lot of artists are going to stand behind her, me included! Just as I would for any one of you here.

hugs,
Heather

Anonymous said...

That's so weird. I was reading in our newspaper yesterday that a naked man was waling around Ashland Oregon... and since there is no law that a person must wear clothes he couldn't be arrested!

All he had to do is cover up when he went downtown...

What a difference~
Pattee
I hate intolerance!

Treasured Wishes said...

These sad people have nothing better to do with their own lives that they have to go out in the world to destroy others.....
Is it that they are not happy with their own?
What makes one person's opinion better then someone anyone else? Who is to say what is right or wrong?
Is this not a free country? Free for our thoughts, feelings, expressing ourselves, freedom of speech and religion?
100 people can look at that painting and walk away with 100 different meanings of what it means to them.
It is a shame and down right disgusting that you have to censor yourself to please others!
Cat